Sunday, November 27, 2011

Portugese Bean Soup

I have had a great few days off from work and am dreading the fact that tomorrow is Monday.  Last night I told myself that I was going to get down to business today regarding by fitness plan and thats just what I did. My food journal went like this:

Breakfast: Banana
Mid-Morning Snack: Nuts
Lunch: A mix of soy beans, peas, corn and pinto beans... (seasoned with a little onion powder and pepper) 

Mid-Afternoon Snack: Granola
Dinner: (havent eaten yet) Portugese Bean Soup

It has been a cold, blustery day and soup just sounded delicious. It takes about 3 hours to make this soup but its just oh-so good! I got the recipe from 'Jean Hee's Best of the Best Hawai'i Recipes.' It makes 2 tons so I like to freeze the left overs and save for the next soup worthy day. :) Here's the recipe:

1 to 2 pounds ham shank (or ham hock) 
3 cans chicken broth (14.5 oz. each)
2 cans kidney beans (15 oz each)
2 cans tomato sauce (8 oz each)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
4 potatoes, cubed into 1-1/2 inch pieces
4 carrots, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
1 Portugese sausage (10 oz), cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 bay leaf
1 small head cabbage

In very large pot, cover ham shank with chicken broth. Add enough water to cover and boil until tender (about 2 hours) Skim fat off while cooking. Add rest of ingredients and cook until tender. Continue to skim fat off.

I personally like to fry up the sausage on the side to get them crispy before I put them in the soup and I cut everything smaller than what she says to. I like bite size pieces and plus it cuts down on cook time. Also before adding all the other ingredients I like to take the ham out, shred it and them place it back in the pot.  Plus we either eat it with rice or I will put some elbow mac in there. 

As for my workout I attempted to jog through my orchard today but I got rained out. Perhaps it was divine intervention trying to tell me not to go running to spare my knee. So right after I am done with this post I am going to do P90X chest and back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment