Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cashew Chicken, Brown Rice and Green Beans



For dinner tonight it was cashew chicken, brown rice and green beans. I got the recipe from Once Upon A Chef. I have made several recipes from her site and they all come out tasting yummy! It only calls for a few ingredients which is always nice, if I can recall correctly I used hoisin sauce, shoyu, rice vinegar, garlic and water. You should really check out her site, she has great step by step pictures and the recipes never calls for crazy stuff.  It called for green onions but it was dark outside and I didnt want to try and venture into my garden in the dark. (Not that green onions are crazy hehe) As for the green beans I just cooked them in some shoyu, oyster sauce and garlic. 

For anyone who knows Hawaii, they know that the people here LOVE rice. White rice to be exact. They eat rice with everything, we could eat it with breakfast, lunch and dinner if you let us. McDonald's here even serves breakfast with rice. Growing up I would eat rice with everything, that was my job when I got home from school, to cook the rice! Things have changed since then and I dont eat rice nearly as much but some meals just arent the same without a side of rice! Its like cereal with no milk. :) My husband would never eat brown rice. He would say it was too crunchy and when I would make a pot of it, it would just sit there. My sister introduced me to this brown rice...it's a little more expensive but they take off the outer husk but dont bleach or process the rice so it still has the benefits/nutrients of brown rice just without the crunch! (I would assume they sell this in the mainland since it was packaged in California, you just may have to go to an asian market? Hawaii's food has a heavy asian influence so I can find it in any grocery store here, even Target.) I would definitely recommend it for anyone who is on the fence about brown rice. You cant tell the difference, my husband snarfs it up like it was white rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment